Education Summit Presentations
November 15 & 16 2011
The November Summit was filmed, and broadcast live on TV and the internet. Below are links to view video of the presentations, PowerPoint presentations, and speaker bios.
Panel 1: Creating a World Class Educational System
- Kati Haycock, PowerPoint Presentation: Raising Achievment and Closing Gaps Between Groups
- Samuel Abrams, PowerPoint Presentation: The Finnish Difference
Panel discussed what it means to be a world-class educational system; how Anchorage compares to other parts of the US and internationally, including special attention to the Finnish system and what is behind their consistently excellent outcomes.
Panel 2: Ensuring All Children Learn to the Best of their Ability
- Joe Willhoft, PowerPoint Presentation: Ensuring All Children Learn to the Best of their Ability
- Dr. Peter Gorman, PowerPoint Presentation: Mayor's Education Summit
Panel discussed elements that are essential to encourage the best outcomes for every child, including:
- Curriculum and what should be taught;
- Technology as a tool for individualized learning; and
- Assessment of both teachers and students
- Video of presentation
- Video of participant reports/feedback on presentation
Panel 3: Alternatives to Traditional Education
- Dr. Mike Feinberg, PowerPoint Presentation: On Beyond Zebra
- Dr. Stuart Butler, Heritage Foundation
- Dr. Patrick Wolf, PowerPoint Presentation: The Research Facts About Charter Schools and Vouchers
Panel explored charter schools, school choice and other alternatives to traditional education in the US, including alternative testing and teacher preparation methods. It also reviewed data on the success of charter and alternative schools and implications of that data.